Fowler Discovery Well
(400 yards north)
In 1918, cotton farmers Shields and Cassie Fowler considered leaving their land due to oppressive drought conditions. Aware of small but successful oil finds in the area, however, Cassie suggested they drill a well on their land. With help from family, friends and local business owners, they began drilling near their hog pen, and the Fowler Discovery Well blew in on July 26. The largest producing well in the town to that point, it yielded about 2,500 barrels a day once contained. The well tapped the vast Townsite Pool and triggered four years of boomtown growth for Burkburnett. The area soon had close to 3,000 wells and several refineries. (2005)
On Ninth Street, between Avenue E and Avenue F, Burkburnett, Texas, 76354.
GPS 34-degrees 06' 16.1" N 98-degrees 34' 19.6" W