John Gerham Hardin (1854 - 1937)
Pioneer settler, financier and philanthropist. Came to Texas in 1876 and to this area in 1879, living at first in a dugout. Operating a store and owning extensive lands, he amassed a fortune that he left as a rich legacy for Texas children. He gave six million dollars to Buckner Orphans Home, Baylor Hospital, Baylor University, Mary Hardin-Baylor College, Abilene Christian College, Howard Payne College, Hardin Junior College, Hardin-Simmons University and local churches and schools. This park was one of his gifts to children. (1970)
Located on 174 East Williams Drive, Burkburnett, Texas 76354.
GPS N 34-degrees 05.274' W 098-degrees 34.191".
For more information about John Gerham Hardin at the Handbook of Texas Online, click the button below.