Northwest Extension Oilfield
Oil exploration and production
in this area was minimal until April 17, 1919,
when the Bob Waggoner Well No. 1
blew in at 4,800 barrels per day. It was
the first well in what became known as
the Northwest Extension Oilfield,
comprised of approximately 27 square
miles on the former S. Burk Burnett Wild
Horse Ranch. R. M. "Bob" Waggoner's
well led to a boom, and the area was
suddenly thick with oil derricks. The
hastily organized tent cities of Thrift,
Springtown, Morgan City, Waggoner
City, Bridgetown and Bradley's Corner
supported the industry. Today, sparsely
sited pump jacks continue to draw oil,
but in far smaller quantities than the
early wells of Wichita County.
Located on SH240, west of Burkburnett, Texas.
GPS: 34-degrees 05; 46.7" N -98-degrees 37' 51.0" W
The markers for Thrift and the Northwest Extension Oilfield stand side by side along SH240, west of Burkburnett, Texas.