Site of Valley View School
Area families established the Denny and Jones Dale
schools in 1897. In 1918, the schools combined, and J. A. Kemp and R. S. Allen sold land to the trustees of Wichita County School No. 6 at this site to build the Valley View School. The next year, oil discovered in the Kemp-Munger-Allen (KMA) field brought many new residents. In 1924, the completion of lakes Kemp and Diversion, and the creation of a farm irrigation district, influenced even more growth. Two years later, with 325 students in grades one through eleven, the school opened a larger building, and voters created the Valley View Independent School District in 1928. Local African American students attended school at the Wichita County Rural Colored School, which operated on the Munger Farm from 1925 to 1942.
In the 1930s, the Valley View School student population increased, peaking in the 1937-38 school year with nearly 600 students. The district added new buildings as needed, including a second brick structure completed as a federal project in 1942. In the 1950s, however, with the mechanization of farming and decline in the oil industry, the area's population began decreasing. The Eagle Bend School merged into the Valley View district in 1956, and although it completed new facilities in 1968, the district consolidated with Iowa Park in 1970. The Iowa Park Consolidated Independent School District utilized former Valley View facilities for several years, but most have since been dismantled. The significance of the Valley View school
continues, though, in the lives of those who were students here over the years.
The marker and the school are located on North Arkansas lane, just north of Farm Road 1206, off Highway 258 West.
GPS coordinates thanks to Google Earth: 33-degrees 52' 28.15" N 98-degrees 45' 48.34" W