Wichita Falls Traction Company
This company, founded by Frank
Kell and J. A. Kemp in 1909, played
a major role in Wichita Falls'
growth during the early 20th
Century. After purchasing undevel-
oped land between the city
limits and Lake Wichita, the com-
pany stimulated demand for it
by building an electric streetcar
system to the area. With the
new ease and speed of travel,
what formerly had been the
city's outskirts became a conve-
nient place to live. The city grew
rapidly along the streetcar route
and the company profited from
its real estate speculation. Buses
replaced the streetcars in 1933.
The marker is located on the corner of Harrison and Collins Avenue, Wichita Falls, Texas 76301.
GPS coordinates: 33-degrees 53' 48.7" N -98-degrees 30' 41.9" W
Part of the tracks lead up to the marker.